Subheading

Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees?

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A Poem for Today

In the summer of 2011 my boss, a lively, big-hearted woman transplanted from Georgia, handed me a copy of this poem.  I don't recall the context in which that occurred, but it seemed quite random.  I read it, and again, and thanked her for it.  Days later, my wife left me for the woman she was seeing.  When I read this poem again, I wept (which I suppose I was doing a lot of anyway, but no matter). Since then I have often returned to it in times of difficulty, uncertainty, or conflict.  But especially in sorrow.

The poem is called Kindness.  The author is Naomi Shihab Nye.

[Update:  For copyright purposes, I am substituting a link for a reprinting of the poem.  I do hope you'll follow it.]

Kindness (http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2007/07/23)

No comments:

Post a Comment